Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nutty Cacao Energy Balls


Due to my daughter's recent sleep (lack of) habits, i've been running pretty low on energy these days... I've been looking for a non-caffeinated pick me up as well as snack to keep me going, so I came up with these little yummies to help out.  I researched Maca a bit and decided it was a great addition to my diet so they're featured in these.  I also use the herb Shatavari but both the Maca and Shatavari are optional if you're not interested! You can also add your favorite protein powder in it as well.

For the nuts/seeds- I switch up here and there what I use.  I normally add cashews as well, but didn't use them this time. Feel free to add/subtract your favorite nuts or seeds!

Nutty Cacao Energy Balls

1/2 cup each: almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/4 cup chia seeds
3 Tbsp Maca powder
2 Tbsp Shatavari powder
5 Tbsp Cacao powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp saigon cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil
5 medjool dates

Place nuts, seeds, and powders in food processor and pulse until powdery. Add dates and coconut oil and continue to pulse until the dough starts to hold together a bit.

Roll into balls- you can either use your hands, or I also took a heaping Tbsp and formed it into balls in the spoon and then put it in a container. I layered them between parchment paper and put in the refrigerator until chilled.


Makes approximately 26 balls.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these look amazing. Have been wondering how to use the Maca powder I bought recently. Just came across your blog from 'Cakefree & dried' - looks great! thanks, Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete