Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pickled Spiced Garlic


I've recently been playing around with various fermented/pickled veggies in an effort to help my digestion and add some extra naturally occurring probiotics into my life ;) So far I've made (some with greater success than others) Ginger Carrots, Fermented Sweet Potatoes, Sauerkraut, and Fermented Ketchup.  There's a lot of great info about such topics, and I'm no expert, so I won't even begin to talk about it, but two books  that I've found really helpful are Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods and Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats. These are amazing resources for assisting your gut to heal and protect it in the future as well with fantastic recipes and advice.

Anyways, it was fitting that for this month's "Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free" roundup, Naomi chose the theme of "Winter Pickles" for January. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot making up my own recipe, so hope it comes out well!! Check out the entire year's themes and hosts- it's going to be a great one! This year Naomi has decided to do just Primal recipes which fits my current dietary restrictions, so I'm quite excited! I will be hosting August, so look out for that as well...


Anyways, on to the recipe!

Pickled Spiced Garlic

2 heads organic Garlic
1 Tbsp Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
12 Green Cardamom pods (about 1/2 Tbsp)
1 dried Chili Pepper
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 cup White Vinegar

Bring seeds and vinegar to boil in small pot. Boil 1 minute. Add garlic (I chopped the really big cloves in half). Boil 1 minute with the garlic.

Pour into a pint size canning jar. Add approximately 1/2 cup filtered water or as much as is needed to bring it to just under the lid.

Let sit on your counter for about a week before transferring to refrigerator. The longer it sits in the refrigerator the stronger the flavor will be, but it should be ready to eat after a day or two in the fridge. I'm going to let mine sit longer though.

Enjoy with your favorite dishes as a side or mixed in with your meal. 




Pin It Now!

1 comment: